Director of Operations and Finance
Dance/NYC is operating as a hybrid of remote and in-person work.
Because Dance/NYC only serves the five boroughs of New York City and surrounding counties of Bergen, Hudson in New Jersey State, and Rockland, Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk counties in New York State; and the City of Yonkers, Dance/NYC is only recruiting cultural workers who are based in this geographic area and able to commute to Dance/NYC’s offices and events regularly.
Dance/NYC’s offices are located on the Garden Floor (ground floor) of the Mertz Gilmore Foundation, 218 East 18th Street, New York, NY 10003 in Gramercy. Access to the Garden Floor entrance includes a two-step descent. A lift to the entrance and an accessible bathroom is available onsite. Elevators are not available in the building.
May 16, 2021
The position is open until filled, but preference will be given to those candidates who apply on or before May 29, 2022. Preference will also be given to those candidates able to commit to two years.
With 10 years of service to the dance industry in NYC, Dance/NYC has emerged as a cultural force and acts as the spokesperson of the industry to the media, government and private funders, and the wider creative sector. We have historically supported individual dance workers, dance nonprofits, and dance-related business through our five mutually reinforcing programs: Advocacy; Action-Oriented Research; Leadership Training, Networking and Convening; Technology and Visibility; and Grantmaking. Dance/NYC is an equal opportunity employer.
Dance/NYC seeks a passionate, entrepreneurial, and detail-oriented full-time Director of Operations and Finance to work with the Executive Director and build on Dance/NYC’s human resource, financial goals and increase its visibility, impact, and resources.
Dance/NYC created the role of Director of Operations and Finance Operations in response to the increase in demand for the organization’s services. The leadership and board of Dance/NYC are committed to investing in strengthening the organization’s internal infrastructure, staffing, and equitable practices in order to adequately meet the growing needs of its constituents while maintaining healthy work conditions within the organization. By investing in a Director of Operations and Finance, Dance/NYC will be building its capacity and sustainability as the organization scales to adequately support the professional dance sector.
The Director of Operations and Finance will focus on financial oversight and management of critical human resources, operations and administration duties. This new role on the organization’s leadership team will help build capacity for the Executive Director, allowing them more time to lead strategy development for the organization and manage the rapid growth of Dance/NYC’s Research & Advocacy Initiatives and Grantmaking Initiatives.
Review full job description and list of qualifications.
SALARY / BENEFITS
The compensation package includes a salary of $85,000 – $95,000 based on experience and competitive benefits.
- Health insurance and 403(b)
- Variety of paid time off offerings, including paid vacation
- Professional development stipend and bonus program
Submit your application with cover letter here. We ask that you pay special attention to our cover letter requirements, which should include detailed answers to the questions below.
- Why are you interested in working as the Director of Operations and Finance at Dance/NYC?
- The Director of Operations and Finance will be called upon to work on a range of projects that require the ability to lead in financial decision making, oversee the human resource activity, and manage high level priorities. What relevant skills and experiences would you bring to this work?
- How would you characterize your understanding of the NYC dance ecosystem?
- Dance/NYC is a values-driven organization, please review our values of Justice, Equity, and Inclusion (found at: dance.nyc/equity/values) and discuss two instances in your professional career where you have demonstrated at least one of them?
- What is important to you in a workplace?
Kyle Rudnick – Operations Manager, Dance/NYC